To my friends, family and the people I know and those I have not yet met, tomorrow we are launching a fundraising campaign to create a safer Brighton & Hove for everyone.
I am very nervous. But here I am. This is way bigger than me and my insecurities.
It’s about every person’s right to feel safe and respected.
Because we all have a right to live our lives free from violence.
We should all be able to walk in public places without receiving unwanted comments or gestures.
Street harassment in Brighton & Hove is increasing, like in other cities.
Many of us have experienced street harassment and many experience it on a daily basis.
Who has not experienced at least one of the following:
• Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic slurs, insulting or demeaning comments
• Comments, requests, and demands
• Comments on physical appearance,
• Following or stalking
• Intentionally invading personal space or blocking the way
• Persistent requests for your name, number, or other information
• Public masturbation or touching